terça-feira, 23 de novembro de 2010

MEMOIRS OF A LIBERAL Capítulo XV (TEMPORARY)

After having distributed all they had brought with them, the girls withdrew to the convent, but they came back the next day and all days after that, with more food and fresh water. It wasn’t, however, what they brought with them that made all camp look forward for their visit. It was their smile, their lightness and the harmony they seemed to impart to everything around them. The men started regarding them as a good luck charm, something that brought good fortune to our troops.
True bonds of friendship grew between us and the nurses from the convent and soon the men started to realize that both from the part of Diogo and Maria da Luz, there was an unconfessed love, and we all conspired to bring them together. However, Diogo always denied any feeling other than friendship and dedication towards Maria da Luz and my sister never openly admitted the way she felt either. But one night when I was keeping watch, I saw a figure coming from the direction of the convent and head towards the shelter that Diogo and I usually shared. I immediately realised it was Maria da Luz who had finally decided to give in – or maybe just couldn’t resist anymore – to her feelings. Despite all my fondness for Diogo, I feared for Maria da Luz reputation and I ran towards the shelter, intended on stopping them from committing an impetuous action. But as I heard my sister’s firm voice, I realized she was certainly aware of all the risks and that the decision of taking that chance or not was theirs alone. «Diogo», she said, «the fact that you never asked me to go against my Father’s will and the fact that you never asked me to sacrifice everything I would have to forsake to be with you, only made me love you and respect you even more, but now, it is I who ask of you: if you don’t love me, tell me now and I will go back to where I came from, but if what everyone seem to believe is true, if it is true that you love me, then don’t say anything and let me stay». I wasn’t surprised by Diogo’s silence and I decided to go back to my position.
                A few days later, the Duke, annoyed by the delay in the arrival of reinforcements, decided not to wait any longer and launch the attack with the troops that he had. Unfortunately, such recklessness would cost us a heavy price, for not only we were forced to retreat but we lost even more men. Now that the enemy knew about our presence and knew that they had advantage, our battalion was not spared and we had to change the location of the camp to stop them from annihilating us. In a way, the change was good, for we were now closer to the convent and it was easier to carry the wounded.
When that first battle ended, the soldiers who had managed to avoid injury helped carry the wounded to the convent, but only the serious cases, for there was not enough room to accommodate all the ones that needed care. The ones with less complicated injuries were tended by the girls who came to the camp.
Luz proved she could assist without blinking even in the most complicated cases, including helping the surgeon with the extraction of bullets and so, when that incident happened, I immediately realized that something was going on.
Maria da Luz was helping the surgeon clean up the lead from a soldier’s shoulder and Diogo and I, who had brought him in, were watching, in case our help might be necessary. The wound, although quite bloody, wasn’t really serious, but during the procedure, Luz seemed to stagger. The surgeon tried to catch her but his hands weren’t free and Maria da Luz ended up falling in Diogo’s arms. She didn’t, however, pass out. It was just dizziness. Diogo made her sit down and asked: «Are you alright?» «I’m just a little tired». «Go and have some rest», the surgeon advised. «I’ll examine you when I’m finished here». «There’s no need. It’s just fatigue». Diogo and I led Maria da Luz to the small convent’s garden and Diogo said to my sister: «Luz, I think this is a good time to tell your brother what’s going on».
It was the first time that Diogo called her only by her name in my presence and so I knew it was a serious matter. Luz nodded in agreement and taking my sister’s hand, Diogo revealed: «Pedro, your sister is expecting my child».
The revelation didn’t catch me completely off guard, for I already feared that that might have happened and the small incident from just minutes ago had helped confirm my suspicion. «Don’t misjudge us, brother», Maria da Luz intervened. «We didn’t mean to hide it from you. You’d have to know sooner or later anyway. We were just waiting for the best moment to tell you», Diogo said. «Well, to be honest, I had already suspected. I’m happy that you’re happy». «So now that you know, help me convince her to go back home, for I haven’t managed to make her listen to me». «Diogo is right. You can’t wait for the child’s birth in here, it’s madness». «You know I can’t count on the support of D. José Ávila». «Luz, I know your Father shunned you but maybe if he knew of your situation...» «He’d cast me out again for having lost myself, especially if he knew who the Father of my child is». «Diogo is right, my sister. Perhaps you are right in saying that Father wouldn’t welcome you back, but I’m sure Aunt Francisca would accept you and it would only be until Diogo came for you. The absolutists can’t hold on much longer. You’re not safe here. You said it yourself that some of the girls have been murdered». «That’s enough! I’m not going back! You needn’t worry! I’m as safe in here as I would be in Oporto. Or do you think this is the only place where there’s war? My child won’t be born here in the middle of a battlefield. When the time is near, I will ask permission to Aunt Francisca to stay with her, but until then, there is still a lot I can do to help the liberal cause».
And as if to prove it would be useful to continue reasoning, Maria da Luz went back inside the convent, leaving us alone. Diogo said then: «I love your sister». «I know». «When this is all over, I will take her as my wife. And it’s not just because she is expecting my child. I would never have touched her if we didn’t have to live each day as if it was the last». «I know, my good friend. As I said, I’m happy for you both. To tell you the truth, I feel more relieved than I would be if I had to see her married to Álvaro Dias».

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário