sábado, 16 de outubro de 2010

MEMOIRS OF A LIBERAL Chapter III (TEMPORARY)

Christmas was a favourite holiday for everybody in the Roseiral. Not only for us children but also for my Father, our good Cecília and especially for Father Ricardo, who always dinned with us on Christmas Eve.

But on that year of 1821, the atmosphere was a bit tense. King João VI had returned. My Father was no longer so sure that His Majesty would not bring Liberalism to the country once and for all, and a hand full of other events, more or less important, seemed to show that the liberals were determined to win, no matter what it took.

Still, we tried to enjoy ourselves as much as possible. Christmas was a few weeks away and Luz, Diogo and I were waiting for my Father to come home with Joaquim, our current caretaker, and a pine tree that would bring a feeling of Christmas to the manor. They came back about one hour and a half after they had left, bringing with them a huge umbrella-pine which they put in the living room. «Children», my Father said, smiling after putting the pine tree in a large enough flower pot filled with soil, «Cecília is very busy in the kitchen, so it’s up to you to decorate the tree». «Can Diogo help?», I eagerly asked. «Yes, he can».

Not really listening to my Father anymore, who was advising us to be careful when climbing on the stools to decorate the higher branches, we went to get the decorations, and we eventually managed to make the tree look pretty. Maria da Luz was the one most delighted with our own masterpiece. «You think Santa Claus will like it, Pedro?» «Of course he will», I said, happily. «I think we’ll get many presents this year». «I asked for a new porcelain doll». «I asked for riding breeches, just like Father’s. What did you ask for, Diogo?» «I asked for warm clothes for walking in the snow». «But it almost never snows», Luz objected. «No, but I also asked for the snow! But I especially asked that there would be no war because of the liberals». «Why do you think there can be a war?», my sister asked. I heard your Father talk to D. Brito. They were saying the liberals are pushing Portugal towards war». «Nonsense!», I exclameid. «That’s crazy. My Father will say anything to denigrate de liberals». «Maybe there’s a point there». «Of course there’s a point». «I was talking about what your Father said». «Never mind that, just let’s go play». «What shall we play?», Luz asked, looking despondent. «Cecília won’t let us go play outside in this cold and there’s nothing to do inside the house».

Fortunately, Father Ricardo showed up to rescue us from boredom. He was a good soul, despite his ideas against Liberalism. He liked peace and harmony and he feared the liberals would put an end to an already difficult stability. He had been a regular visit at the Roseiral since the time of my Grandfather Eduardo – my Father’s Father – and he was like family. He was now 74 or 75 and the older he got the more patient he seemed to be towards us children. To us, the stories that he took from the Bible and told with such simplicity that even for us children they were easy to understand, were always delightful moments.

When the doorbell rang, Cecília went to the door and we listened to see who was coming. «Cecília», said the priest in his kind voice, «May God be in this house». «I’m sure He is, Father», said Cecília. «But D. José isn’t, if you wanted to speak to him. But he won’t be long. You may wait in the living room... The children have been asking about you. Go on, I’ll bring you some tea». «Well, it’s a good thing the children are here. I have a surprise for them».

When Father Ricardo came into the living room, he saw three curious children who were trying to guess what the surprise could be. «You heard everything, didn’t you, you little rascals? Well’ here you are». And he handed to us a red flannel that enveloped some religious clay figures. «Wonderful!», Luz exclaimed. «Now we can have a Nativity scene!» «Yes!», we agreed in unison. «I’ll help», the priest said. «Be careful not to break anything».

The four of us got to work until everything looked perfect. And although none of us dared to admit it in front of Father Ricardo, the three of us thought that now there was even a greater chance that Santa Claus would bring us the so desired presents. When my Father arrived, he was pleased to see the priest. «Ah, Father Ricardo, what a pleasure to have you here in the Roseiral. Oh, please don’t get up. Your blessing, please». «God bless you. I hope you won’t hold it against me that I haven’t visited in such a long time but it’s almost Christmas and there are so many preparations to be made. Anyway, we see each other in church... although not often enough».

I imagine my Father realised the implicit criticism to his absence in the house of God, but he chose not to dwell on the subject. «Well, you’re here now and that’s what counts! And I see you brought a gift for the children». «A gift for the Roseiral», the priest corrected. «So that God may always be in your hearts. Especially now that Christmas is only five days away. «True. One more celebration of Jesus birth». «Yes, it’s gratifying. Especially when one has the opportunity to celebrate with a family like yours». «I’m very pleased you like that, Father». «But tell me, how are the children doing?»

Diogo, Luz and I were still gathered round the Christmas tree and the Nativity scene and so the two of them spoke as if we weren’t even there. And as for us, we heard them as if their voices were coming from a great distance.

«They’re doing fine», said my Father. «Pedro is a bit mischievous. I suppose it’s normal at his age». «And the prayers?» «Maria da Luz is the most religious one. Pedro sometimes neglects them but he doesn’t mean any harm». «Of course not, he’s just a child. God knows he doesn’t mean any harm».

My Father was looking at us now and the priest noticed that he seemed slightly displeased. «What’s the matter?» «Nothing... It’s that kid, Cecilia’s boy». «He looks like a good boy».

My Fathered had lowered his voice, which made me realise that the conversation must be about us, so I tried to listen to what they were saying. «Perhaps he his, but one must not forget he is a servant. I should not have allowed him to become friends with my children». «There’s nothing wrong about that. They’re children.» «But they’re growing up. And it’s not appropriate for my son to treat his stable boy like a brother. Or worse, it’s not appropriate for the stable boy to treat my son like a brother, don’t you agree?» «Well, I agree there has to be respect but...» «Oh, come on, Father! Let’s not beat about the bush! There’s hierarchy even in Paradise: God, Jesus and His Mother, the angels, the saints...» Father Ricardo wiped the sweat from his forehead. He seemed to fear that God might regard that as blasphemy. «What should I do to drive them apart?»

My attention was starting to turn from the Christmas tree and the figures in the Nativity scene to focus on the words uttered by my Father and by Father Ricardo. My Father’s attitude was scaring me. I did not want to lose Diogo’s friendship. «Listen», the priest told him. «Don’t interfere. They’re children and you have my word their friendship is blessed by God. Don’t worry. When Diogo grows up and more tasks are assigned to him, he will gradually become more distant from your children, just like he came close to them.» I felt scared as I looked at Diogo. For nothing in this world would I want to lose his friendship and both the words of my Father and those of Father Ricardo sounded evil to me. Diogo must have notice something strange in my expression, for when I looked at him he asked: «What’s the matter, Sir? Aren’t you feeling alright?» I almost threatened him again because of the distance he put between us when he called me “Sir”, a form of address fit for stuck-up grown-ups and not for two children. But I decided that what my Father and Father Ricardo expected didn’t necessarily have to happen. «It’s nothing, Diogo».













Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário